Add metadata to items
To describe the content of a photograph, Tropy uses customizable metadata templates with multiple fields for different properties of the content of your photo, for example, title, date, author, box, folder, collection, archive, and rights. Please check out our metadata documentation to learn about best practices for creating good metadata.
To add or edit metadata to describe your item, click on it to select it. In the metadata pane on the righthand side of the project view, select a template from the pull-down menu. Then you have several options for adding information.
- Enter your metadata information in the metadata pane on the righthand side of the window. Press Enter to save your information, or press Tab to save your information and move on to the next field.
- When viewing your items as a list, you can directly edit fields that appear in list columns. Select your item in the item table, and click again on the field you wish to edit. Once you’ve completed your entry, press Enter or Tab to save your information and move on. You can also edit fields by pressing Enter while an item is selected.
- Double-clicking on your item in the item table will bring you to the item view, where you can also edit the metadata, now in the lefthand pane.
Editing metadata in bulk
You can edit the metadata for multiple items at a time.
- Ctrl/Command+click on each item you want to edit; then type your metadata into the metadata pane on the righthand side.
- To select a large group, press Shift, then select the last item of the group you want to select. The metadata you input will be applied to all items you have selected.
- To select everything in the item table, press Ctrl/Command+A.
Photo metadata from camera
Digital cameras store information about images they capture in the header of the digital file, using the Exif standard. That information usually includes the camera make and models, the camera settings and the date the photograph was taken.
- file name (which is editable when you select the photo and then click on it to move to editable mode in the photo pane)
- date image was taken
- image size in pixels
- file size
- date added to Tropy
- date last modified in Tropy